Spiders are probably one of the most common household pests in North Jersey. In the summer, they like to hang out in corners looking for lunch. And in the winter, they seek shelter inside to escape the cold weather.
In our region spiders are, for the most part, harmless. Venomous spiders (a brown recluse or black widow spiders) don’t often make it to these parts and if they do, it’s usually by accident. House spiders are not dangerous but they do tend to freak people out.
Common Places To Find Spiders
Spiders have a tendency to build unsightly webs in the corners of rooms. They also hang out in basements and attics, under furniture and in closets, and underneath decks and porches. Basically, any area that is dark and secluded is prime real estate for most arachnids.
Why Do I Have A Spider Problem?
Chances are if your home is attracting other bugs, you’ll have spiders too. Spiders feed mainly on insects, and if you manage your in-house insect population chances are you’ll see fewer and fewer spiders around the house. This task is best accomplished by partnering with a pest control company that offers a year-round program to eliminate common household pests.
Spider Prevention Tips
The best way to prevent a spider invasion is to try to make sure they cannot enter the structure in the first place. Here are a few ways you can keep these pests outside where they belong:
- Seal cracks and crevices on the exterior of the structure, from the foundation to the top of the roof.
- Caulk gaps around windows and doors.
- Install door sweeps.
- Trim bushes and trees away from the dwelling so spiders cannot use their branches as a bridge.
- Inspect screens on exterior windows and doors to make sure they do not have any tears or rips in them.
- Inspect packages before bringing them inside.
- Keep clutter to a minimum in basement, attic and closet areas.
- Fix leaky pipes and fixtures to eliminate a water source.
Professional Spider Control
The best way to control spiders in your home is with a year-round pest control service. Professional exterminators have the tools, knowledge and experience to resolve spider infestations. An ongoing plan also ensures that opportunistic pests do not re-infest. At PermaKill, we offer protection from spiders with both our residential pest control program
If you have any questions, please call PermaKill Exterminating today!