Mosquito control is most effective when a combination of tactics are used to mitigate an infestation. The simple truth is that since mosquitoes fly, no single procedure, pesticide, or deterrent will be effective on its own. That being said, combining the last below will go a long way towards giving you a mosquito-free backyard.
1. Cedar mulch: Using cedar mulch in your yard can act as a natural deterrent for mosquitoes due to its strong aroma.
2. Eliminating standing water: Remove any standing water sources in your yard, such as birdbaths, empty containers, or clogged gutters. Mosquitoes breed in stagnant water, so eliminating these areas will reduce their breeding grounds.
3. Manicuring your lawn: Keep your property well-maintained by regularly mowing the grass and trimming shrubs. Mosquitoes prefer shaded and overgrown areas, so maintaining a well-groomed yard can discourage their presence.
4. Mosquito traps: Set up mosquito traps in strategic locations around your yard. These traps attract and capture mosquitoes, helping to reduce their population.
5. Planting natural deterrents: Certain plants have natural mosquito-repelling properties. Consider planting citronella, lavender, marigold, or lemongrass in your yard to help deter mosquitoes.
6. Treating pools and ponds: If you have a pool or pond in your yard, use appropriate treatments to control mosquito larvae. This can include adding mosquito dunks or using biological larvicides that are safe for aquatic life.
7. Yellow LED lighting: Install yellow LED lights in outdoor areas. Mosquitoes are less attracted to yellow light compared to traditional white lights, reducing their presence around your yard.
By implementing these methods, you can significantly reduce mosquito populations in your yard and enjoy a more mosquito-free outdoor space.
If you need remove and repel mosquitos more quickly then the following three items are important to consider.
Apply chemical repellents: Use chemical insect repellents specifically designed for outdoor use. These repellents can create a barrier and protect your yard, lawn, and garden for several weeks. Additionally, you can apply a traditional, safe repellent directly on your skin for personal protection.
Citronella candles are a long-time fan favorite for repelling mosquitoes. You can buy sizable ones to place around your yard and ensure mosquitoes will keep their distance during a party or on a summer night.
Set Out a Thermacell Zapper
Thermacell devices are spray-free, emitting a no-mess repellent in a compact container. Completely scent-free, these containers are easy to refill and provide up to 15 feet of protection.
In summary, mosquito control is a balance between active (mechanical or chemical pest control and more aggressive extermination with chemical repellants, candles, and bug zappers.
Should you live in Morris County New Jersey and would like outdoor pest control services for a pest free event outdoor occasion, call Permakill Pest control and ask about our Pre Party or Event Pest Extermination Service.